- Visiting Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
- Director of Academic Initiatives
- Associate Residency Training Director of Psychiatry
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- ekimchi [at] uic.edu
- (312) 355-3347
Neuropsychiatric Institute (NPI)
912 S. Wood St.
Department of Psychiatry (MC 913)
Chicago IL 60612
- Room #:430
Dr. Kimchi is Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Academic Initiatives, and Associate Psychiatry Residency Training Director at the University of Illinois, Chicago. He completed his residency at the University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Program and his geriatric psychiatry fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. He subsequently joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins before relocating to the Chicagoland area. He was on faculty at Rush University Medical Center from 2016 to 2022 where he served as Associate Residency Training Director of Psychiatry, Medical Director of Emergency Psychiatry, and Associate Medical Director of the Section of Geriatric Psychiatry. There he chaired the Emergency Department’s Mental Health Committee and the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences’ Faculty Development Committee. His clinical and research interests lie in medical education, decision-making capacity, dementia, and emergency psychiatric care. He has authored several textbook chapters on emergency geriatric psychiatry, cognitive disorders, behavioral disturbances in dementia, and decision-making capacity. Dr. Kimchi has been invited to give Grand Rounds at academic medical centers and to chair panels at national conferences on decision-making capacity.
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Association
- Member, Council on Medical Education and Lifelong Learning of the American Psychiatric Association
- Associate Training Director Caucus Chair, American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training
- Member, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- Member, American Association for Emergency Psychiatry
- Member, Illinois Psychiatric Society
- Medical education
- Health equity
- Mental health disparities
- Decision making capacity
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Emergency Psychiatry
- Kemp D, Sharma N, Akira A, Kimchi EZ. Emergency Psychiatric Care for Older Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Workflow, Common Presentations, and Overall Trends. In: Roca RP, Dugué M, Llorente M, eds. Geriatric Mental Health Care: Lessons from a Pandemic. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2022:Chapter 3.
- Eloge J, Sultan F, Kimchi EZ. Attitudes and comfort in clinical neuroscience among psychiatry residents before and after implementation of a new multimodal neuroscience curriculum. 2022 American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting Poster #4254; New Orleans, LA. 2022.
- Van Wert M, McVey K, Donohue T, Wasserstein T, Curry J, Goldstick Rosner N, Kimchi, EZ, McCann U. Foam Rubber Pica and Cautopyreiophagia in a Highly Educated Woman: A Clinical Case Study. Clinical Case Studies. 2021;20(6):468-481. doi:https://doi.org/10.1177/15346501211014284
- Adams K, Kimchi EZ, Purim-Shem-Tov Y. (2019, October). Understanding Diagnostic Overshadowing in Emergency Medicine: A Comparison of Diagnostic Work Up for Patients with Anxiety. Poster session presented at the 2019 American Psychiatric Association Institute on Psychiatric Services: The Mental Health Services Conference; New York City, NY. 2019.
- Bragg C, Adams K, Kimchi EZ, Purim-Shem-Tov Y. (2019, March). A Comparison of Diagnostic Workup for Patients with Past Psychiatric History In the Emergency Department. Poster session presented at the 2019 Rush University Research Forum, Chicago, IL. 2019.
- Kimchi EZ. Capacity and Decision Making. In: Steinberg M and Rosenberg PB, eds. Depression and Cognitive Impairment in Older Patients. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2017:Chapter 9.
- Kimchi EZ, Lyketsos CG. Management of Agitation in Dementia. In: Halter, J, Ouslander, J, High, K, et al, eds. Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2016:Chapter 74.
- Kimchi EZ, Lyketsos CG. Dementia and Mild Neurocognitive Disorders. In: Steffens DC, Blazer DG, Thakur ME, eds. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Geriatric Psychiatry. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2015:Chapter 8.
- Kimchi EZ, Desai AK, Grossberg GT. New Alzheimer's disease guidelines: Implications for clinicians. Current Psychiatry. 2012;1115-20.
- Angotti N, Bula A, Gaydosh L, Kimchi EZ, Thornton RL, Yeatman SE. Increasing the acceptability of HIV counseling and testing with three C's: Convenience, confidentiality and credibility. Social Science and Medicine. 2009;682263-2270. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.02.041 PMID: 19375208
- Kimchi E, Allan A. Cultural Reactions to Voluntary Counseling and HIV Testing in Rural Malawi. Society for Applied Anthropology Abstract Book. March 2007.
- Kimchi EZ. Reactions to At-Home Voluntary Counseling and Rapid HIV Testing in Rural Malawi, 2006. Malawi Diffusion and Ideational Change Project. Http://www.malawi.pop.upenn.edu/. Updated September 1, 2006. Accessed September 7, 2006. 2006.
- Aragon J, Berg R, Lee M, Kimchi E, Davis K, Kotler H, Makkar R, Naqvi T, Siegel R, Kar S. Neurological Outcomes Following Percutaneous Closure of Inter-Atrial Communications. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 65(1):May 2005.
- Aragon J, Kar S, Berg R, Kimchi E, Parisky A, Chaikin S, Watanabe C, Jamali A, Tio F, Litvack F, Eigler N. Thin Walled Cobalt Chromium Paclitaxel Eluting Stents Have No Restenosis Advantage Over Stainless Steel Paclitaxel Eluting Stents In A Porcine Model. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 65(1):May 2005.
- Kar S, Aragon J, Tio F, Betts R, Shulze J, Reiver S, Savage D, Grant G, Kimchi E, Eigler N, Litvack F. Biolimus A9: A New Rapamycin Derivative Developed For Stent Applications Inhibits Intimal Proliferation In A Porcine Model. American Journal of Cardiology. Supplement 1(6):September 2004.