The Health Psychology rotation offers the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of behavioral health roles in bariatric surgery. Externs will be part of a multidisciplinary team that serves a predominantly low income and ethnically diverse patient population.
Training opportunities include:
- Conduct pre-bariatric surgery psychological evaluations using semi-structured clinical interview, medical chart review, and psychological testing to address patient readiness for and understanding of bariatric surgery. This experience will include specialized training in the assessment of disordered eating with this population.
- Conduct follow-up appointments with pre-operative patients to address issues impeding surgical readiness. These appointments may be brief (1-2 sessions) or ongoing.
- Co-lead monthly bariatric surgery support groups as available.
- Provide short-term individual therapy with post-surgery patients, as available, utilizing cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational enhancement, and mindfulness frameworks.
- This training opportunity occurs in the Psychiatry Department and Bariatric Surgery clinic.
Externs are encouraged to attend monthly multidisciplinary bariatric surgery team meetings. Didactic opportunities include weekly psychiatry grand rounds and neuropsychology lectures.