The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Psychiatry Residency Training Program accepts applications from graduates of medical schools approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). Applicants certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) who have completed all necessary requirements for training in the United States are also considered.
Selection of residents is based on the content of the application as well as interviews with faculty and informal meetings with applicants. The interviews provide an opportunity for the applicant to gain further knowledge of the training program and to meet faculty and residents.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR RESIDENCY
- Completion of at least four weeks of clinical psychiatry training in medical school and, for applicants who have graduated more than one year ago, work in psychiatry or a related field after graduation from medical school.
- Graduation from medical school not more than 6 years before the date of application.
- We have minimum USMLE score criteria, however, specific scores are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- An ECFMG certificate valid at least until July 1 of the year for which one is applying (for IMG applicants).
- Authorization to work in the United States; if a visa is required, we sponsor only J-1 visas.
First-year (PGY-1) appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), 2501 M. St. New, Suite 1, Washington, DC 20037-1307, and all medical students, including foreign graduates, are required to participate in this program. All applications for PGY-1 positions must be submitted via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®). For information on filing your application through ERAS, visit the ERAS site.
If you are an International Medical Graduate, you may obtain information by writing to: ECFMG-ERAS Program, PO Box 13467, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3467, USA. or you may point your web browser to www.ecfmg.org.
The following documents should be included in your ERAS application:
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- ECFMG report (for International Medical Graduates)
- USMLE Score Report
- Medical School Dean's Letter
- Medical School diploma if you have already graduated
- Medical school transcript
- At least three letters of recommendation, minimum one from psychiatry
- All correspondence should be addressed to:
Robert W. Marvin, M.D., Director, Psychiatry Residency Education and Training Program.
SECOND-YEAR OR LATER APPOINTMENTS
Please contact program for availability.
Request Application Information:
Lynette Montalto, BS
Department of Psychiatry (M/C 913)
912 S. Wood Street
Chicago, IL 60612
PHONE: (312) 996-3583
FAX: (312) 996-3514
E-mail: lynetteuic [dot] edu