Director, Elizabeth Charney, MD
The Comprehensive Assessment and Treatment Unit (CATU) is a 10-bed acute psychiatric unit housed at the University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago. The CATU treats foster children between the ages of 12 and 17 years that the Department of Children and Family Services has identified as being the most at-risk. Youngsters admitted to the CATU:
- meet criteria for an acute psychiatric hospital admission,
- have had three or more psychiatric hospitalizations in the preceding 18 months,
- have emotional disturbance and behavioral problems that have not been successfully managed in less restrictive settings,
- have experienced multiple placement disruptions,
- are at risk for another placement disruption, and
- demonstrate severe, repetitive aggression directed toward others, self or property.
Fedra Najjar, M.D.
Emmanuel Olaifa, RN
Administrative Nurse - I
Kristina Erland, LCSW
Clinical Social Worker
Barbara Jean Washington, RN
Associate Director of Nursing, Medical Surgical Services
Customer Service Representative II