The fellow may choose from a variety of rotations that include:
- Inpatient WMH Service: our unit has 35 beds to serve the acute, short-term needs of adult patient during periods of crisis. Approximately 10 of those beds (up to 12 beds) are dedicated to the treatment of women who suffer from various psychiatric conditions related to the reproductive cycle or gender-specific psychiatric issues. The Women's Team generally consists of an attending psychiatrist, the WMH fellow, a psychiatry resident, a psychiatric social worker, medical students, occupational therapists, and psychiatric nurses. These professionals work together to stabilize a patient on the unit with medications and therapy, collaborate with family, and find resources in the community to bridge the care into an outpatient service. Additionally, daily patient rounds, medication adjustments, a variety of Group Treatments and the assistance of a Social Worker tuned to the needs of women in peripartum are available. The Inpatient Service also works closely with the OBGYN team at UIC to obtain obstetric care for patients at the Inpatient facility.
- Women’s Mental Health Clinic: This is an outpatient service offering consultation, diagnostic evaluation, pharmacotherapy and brief psychotherapy for female patients in the community with psychiatric disorders. Typical consultations include: pre-pregnancy and lactation psychopharmacologic consultations, psychiatric medication management during pregnancy, treatment for postpartum depression, and postnatal PTSD.
- Outpatient obstetrics and gynecology clinic/ Center for Women’s Health
- WMH Consultation Service: This is a service that provides psychiatric consultation to inpatients on obstetric/ gynecologic and NICU units. The fellow will function as a liaison to the Ob/gyn staff and attend weekly rounds to consult on challenging cases.
- Research Experience: The fellow will be able to create a research opportunity in an identified area of interest with the direct supervision of world- renowned Dr. Pauline Maki and her research team. The fellow will learn more in depth about the design of a research study as well as implementation. The fellow will be encouraged to submit study findings for publication as appropriate.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy Experience
- Perinatal Loss
- Sexual Disorders in Women
- Infertility Experience
- Women’s intake clinic
- Insight Behavioral Center (Eating Disorders)
- Jesse Brown VA Women’s Clinic
- Circuit Court in Forensics at Cook County
- Electroconvulsive Therapy
- Hines VA
- Parent Management Training Group