Best Practice #4: FEELING SAFE
Promoting a safe environment in the community
Living, working, and going to school in urban areas can at times feel like being in a war zone. Additionally, these children lack access to safe areas for recreation.
- Everyone plays a role in keeping a community safe, but no one person, family, organization, or system can make a difference without support.
- We all play a part in making communities safe.
For these reasons, it is important to:
What YOU can do:
- Enhance community resources by taking steps to improve the positive relationships and peaceful activities in communities (e.g. community clean up, garden space for produce or plants)
- Increase monitoring and response capacity, including a monitored and safe space for children and families (e.g. home, office, etc)
- Plan for what to do and who to contact to protect yourself if and when violence happens
- Advocate through outreach to local law enforcement, hospitals, elected officials, etc.