Institute for Juvenile Research
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Psychiatry (MC 747)
1747 W. Roosevelt Rd., 1st floor
Chicago, IL 60608
Office Phone: 312-413-4628
Suarez, L., Polo, A. J., & Chen, C., & Alegría, M. (2009). The prevalence, course, and correlates of childhood-onset anxiety disorders among Latinos and Non-Latino whites in the United States. Psicología Conductual.
Connolly, S. & Suarez, L. (2009). Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobia, Panic Disorder, Social Phobia, and Selective Mutism. In M. Duncan and J. Wiener (Eds.). Duncan's Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. American Psychiatric Publishing: Arlington, VA
Suarez, L., Barlow, D., Bennett, S., & Golsdstein, C. (2008 Understanding anxiety disorders from a "triple vulnerability" framework. In M. M. Anthony and M.B. Stein (Eds.), Oxford handbook of anxiety and related disorders. Oxford University Press, New York.
Pincus, D., Ehrenreich, J., & Suarez, L. (2007). Innovations in the treatment of child and adolescent anxiety disorders. The Behavior Therapist, 30, 7-11.
Danielson, C.K., de Arellano. M.A., Ehrenreich, J.T., Suarez, L.M., Bennett, S.M., Cheron, D.M., Goldstein, C.R., Jakle, K.R., Landon, T.M., Trosper, S.E. (2006). Identification of High-Risk Behaviors among Traumatized Adolescents and Implications for Empirically-Supported Psychosocial Treatment. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 12, 364-383.
Suarez, L. & Baker, B. (1997). Child externalizing behavior and parents' stress: The role of social support. Family Relations, 46, 373-381.
IJR Faculty Member
Liza Suarez, PhD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology
Liza Suarez, Ph. D., is the co-director of the Urban Youth Trauma Center (UYTC), a Treatment Service Adaptation Center within the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. UYTC aims to improve the lives of youth and families affected by community violence who are experiencing traumatic stress and co-occurring conditions, including substance abuse and disruptive behavior problems. Dr. Suarez is adapting and evaluating an integrated intervention targeting traumatic stress and substance abuse problems in adolescents. At UIC, Dr. Suarez develops research and treatment programs for urban children within the Pediatric Stress and Anxiety Disorders Clinic.
Adolescent traumatic stress and substance abuse, community violence,
community mobilization, dissemination and implementation of evidence based
practices, treatment for anxiety disorders among urban youth, youth and
family engagement in mental health treatment
- American Psychological Association, Division 37 Society for Child and Family Policy and Practice
- Urban Youth Trauma Center: Treatment Service and Adaptation
Center for the National Child Traumatic Stress Network aiming to provide
services, training and resources focusing on the impact of urban community
violence on youth and families experiencing traumatic stress and
co-occurring substance abuse and disruptive behavior problems. Co-Principal
Investigators: Liza Suarez & Jaleel Abdul-Adil
- Trauma Systems Therapy for Adolescent Substance Abuse:
Development, evaluation and implementation of an integrated treatment
program for adolescents with co-occurring traumatic stress and substance
abuse problems. Principal Investigator: Liza Suarez
- Understanding the links between adolescent trauma and substance abuse - A toolkit for providers : Development and dissemination of a guide, training program and online course for providers and materials for consumers to raise awareness about the needs of youth with co-occurring traumatic stress and substance abuse problems (http://www.nctsn.org/nccts/nav.do?pid=ctr_top_dol). Principal Investigator: Liza Suarez
- Risk and Protective Factors Study: Examine factors associated with childhood anxiety within an urban clinic population. Principal Investigator: Sucheta Connolly, MD